Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Work Permit Information

Minors (students less than 18 years old) employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). Work permits are typically issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the duties and location where the work will be done as well as the number of hours a minor may work.

How do I obtain a Work permit?

In most cases, it is a two-step process, the minor along with the parent/guardian and employer fill out the B1-1 form and submit it to the student’s school of attendance. The school representative reviews the B1-1 form (Work Permit Application) and then issues the B1-4 form (Work Permit).

Once a student has been extended an offer of employment, s/he must then obtain a Work Permit Application form B1-1; available via download from the student’s school website and also via download from the SRCS website).

Click here to download the Work Permit Application - Form B1-1

Remember that the employer must also complete a portion of the application, as well as a parent/guardian.  After the employer and a parent/guardian complete those portions of the application, the student returns the application to the school representative for review and issuance of the work permit.

Where do I turn my work permit in?

During the school year, students submit their completed Work Permit Applications to the representative at their schoolDuring the summer break, work permits are processed by the Student and Family Engagement Office (SAFE), 211 Ridgway Avenue, from 8:30 am-3:30 pm, Monday through Friday.